Sunday 23 November 2014

Land League History Lesson

There are some topics within the 6th class history curriculum which can be heavy and hard to make fun or active... particularly (dare I say it) when it comes to Irish History.

I created this lesson to:

  • Get the children researching and investigating. It's important that children discover or find the information for themselves and for a meaningful purpose. 
  • Incorporate drama into the lesson.  Drama is a wonderful tool within history to help the children develop empathy.  It allows them to step back in time and into the shoes of the characters. 
  • Develop teamwork skills.  Children had to work together to come up with an appropriate campaign. 
I have attached a copy of the task sheet I distributed to the children here: 

I was amazed with what the children came up with! Some re created the scenes when Devoy, Parnell and Davitt joined forces.  Others distributed campaign leaflets, posters and voting slips.  Speeches and chants were made to win the support of the crowd.  Some children even brought in their own props and clothes to really get into character. 

Check out some of the pictures on our twitter page!
https://twitter.com/MissWardsClass

Finally I created a display of some of the posters and campaign slips created by the children.



This turned out to be one of my favourite lessons this year. 
The class LOVED it! 

Learning about the Land League will never be boring again! 
Let me know how you get on! 

Yvonne 

No comments:

Post a Comment